Roots staff brought this stuffing to the KKV staff Thanksgiving party, sharing this fun variant that incorporates lots of fruits and nuts. Try your own version with whatever's in your pantry, like almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, plums, apples - your imagination's the limit!
- 2 persimmons, peeled & cubed
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts, pecans)
- 1 loaf stale bread, cubed
- Salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound of sausage, chunks
- [For sausage only] Sear sausage in a skiller
- [Optional: deglazing] Remove sausage from skillet and set aside. Pour off any excess fat and discard. Keeping skillet on heat, add 2 Tablespoons of wine and, using a wooden spoon, vigorously scrape caramelized sediment stuck to the bottom of the pan as the wine boils. Once combined, pour liquid in with broth to be used in stuffing.
- Combine all ingredients in a pan, mixing well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place pan in oven, uncovered. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.