Special thanks to our fabulous intern Sara Saramosing and VISTA extraordinaire Malia Derden for making this beautiful cake. It was their first cake from scratch, and it was a huge success!
Modified from this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups organic cane sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp zest of calamansi, lemon, or lime
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup citrus juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp citrus juice
- Preheat over to 350°. Grease a cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, zest, and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold in the coconut oil.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup citrus juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Once cake is complete, remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Pour sweetened citrus juice over the cake.
- For the glaze, combine powdered sugar and citrus juice. Pour over cake.