This week, we found ourselves with too many over-ripe avocados and bananas. What's a program to do?
Avocado banana bread, of course! Avocado replaces butter or oil for a heart healthy fat and packs a major dose of flavor. Ever had a chocolate avocado shake? This is that, in bread form.
This batch will be going over to our Gulick Senior Center kupuna with our EBT-accessible Mobile Market this Friday, but you can make your own at home with this recipe.
Modified from this recipe.
Cocoa 'n Avocado Banana Bread aka "Avo-Cocoa-Nana" Bread
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup avocado, pureed
- 1 large egg (we used organic Ilio Lani Farm chicken eggs for ours!)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 4-5 apple bananas, mashed
- 1 cup organic white flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic white sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix avocado, egg, vanilla and almond extract, bananas, sugars, and cinnamon.
- Mix flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold mixes together until well combined.
- Pour into a greased bread pan.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Share with your neighbors!